problem with my HBN

The engine.
nira

problem with my HBN

Post by nira »

can you tell me what the problem is in this hybrid bayesian network ?
Last edited by nira on Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
marek [BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: problem with my HBN

Post by marek [BayesFusion] »

Hi Nira,

I don't see any problems with it except for that it is in a very initial stage of construction. The grey arcs tell you that you need to look at the definition in the child nodes (I explained it in another query and it is also explained in GeNIe manual, section "Structural analysis", inside section "Bayesian networks", chapter "Using GeNIe"). Equations also need to be looked at -- when you add a new arc, GeNIe just amends the existing equation by adding the parent's value to the equation. I suspect that this is not what you want.
I hope this helps,

Marek
nira

Post by nira »

thank you for your answer;
I would like to ask you another question, regarding the equation how I have to choose the equation (trangular and others) and how I have to fill in the parameters of each equation knowing that for the moment I have copied and pasted an example from HBN, thank you.
marek [BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Hi Nira,

I'm afraid there is no good answer to your question, as the answer depends on the domain knowledge and what you want to accomplish. Imagine somebody is asking you: What do I put in the Excel cells? What equations and what numbers? These questions are similar to what you have asked. The answer depends on what you want to model.
I hope this helps,

Marek
nira

Post by nira »

for my case, I want to create a covid prediction system so my dataset contains symptoms, risk factors (discrete variables) and signs (medical analysis so continuous variables) in this case what kind of equation do you suggest we use?
This is my first time working with BNs and using genie smile.
I hope you can help me, thanks in advance.
marek [BayesFusion]
Site Admin

I'm afraid I don't know the domain well enough to advise here. In social sciences, people often use linear equations but it is often because they don't have a good functional description of the mechanisms working in the system. In physics and often in engineering we do have a good idea what the equations are (like in the heating/cooling of buildings model in our repository).

So, again, I have no idea what equations you would want to use for this problem. Perhaps looking at some domain (COVID) literature will help?
Cheers,

Marek