ErrNo=-43 when updating beliefs

The engine.
AtiyehAtiyeh

ErrNo=-43 when updating beliefs

Post by AtiyehAtiyeh »

Hi

I'm using SMILE to update evidence for my nodes. my network is a DBN and has 8 nodes and 20 timeslices. Here's what I do:
- read the network from file
- set values for evidence (temporal evidence and temporal virtual evidence) for all 8 nodes
- update beliefs

when I do this for up to 6 timeslices it works fine, however, when I do it for more than 6, it gives me this error:

pysmile.SMILEException: SMILE Error Occured in: Network.UpdateBeliefs
ErrNo=-43
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: ErrNo=-43 when updating beliefs

Post by shooltz[BayesFusion] »

One possible reason for this error is the virtual evidence containing all zero values. Currently available version of SMILE does not check for this, we have fixed this problem in the next version of the library.
AtiyehAtiyeh

Post by AtiyehAtiyeh »

I checked my evidence values and they all add up to 1 for each node. What would be other causes for this error?
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Post by shooltz[BayesFusion] »

The other possibility is a set of inconsistent probabilities in the CPTs (all zero values in some column?). While GeNIe checks for the consistency when you enter the probabilities by hand, SMILE does not for performance reasons.

Finally, for very large networks error -43 can occur when floating point precision is lost. We have seen this happen with 1000+ nodes, your description of the model suggests this is not the issue.