Data Validation for an Equation-Based Model trained with Continuous Data

The front end.
njharn

Data Validation for an Equation-Based Model trained with Continuous Data

Post by njharn »

Hello! I am new to this forum, and I have been working with GeNIe for about a month. I've read through most of the manual, with a focus on parameter learning and data validation. I'm currently trying to cross-validate an equation-based model trained with a continuous dataset.

According to the manual, this would require discretizing both the model and the dataset, matching the bins for both, and then performing validation. However, I'd like to perform cross-validation without the extra step of manually defining the bins and discretization boundaries. Is there a way to accomplish this in GeNIe, and if so, how? Thank you for your help!

-njharn
marek [BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: Data Validation for an Equation-Based Model trained with Continuous Data

Post by marek [BayesFusion] »

Hi Njharn,

I'm afraid you can't do it in GeNIe quite yet but do stay tuned. I have worked recently on a similar problem and even though I had to discretize the model variables for the purpose of structural learning, I wanted to make continuous predictions. I generated an output file in Validation and then converted (in Excel) the probabilities over the discrete class variables into a continuous prediction (took pretty much the middles of the intervals and weighted them by their probabilities). At that point, I was able to calculate the error in prediction. Please do share with others what you came up with -- it is an interesting problem.
Cheers,

Marek
ramzi9572

Post by ramzi9572 »

Hi Marek,

do you have already created a continuous prediction? I have the same problem now. I tried to understand your way but i dident got it.

Thanks alot
marek [BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Post by marek [BayesFusion] »

I'm afraid we have not yet gotten to it. Currently we have two major projects that we want to finish this year: support for maps/GIS and a web-based program for collaborative construction of graphical models. We will get to implementing our newest ideas in learning and evaluation after that.
Cheers,

Marek