problems with parameter learning with EM

The front end.
ninio

problems with parameter learning with EM

Post by ninio »

I'm trying to learn a network with several hidden variables and some missing data from real live data. When I remove the hidden variables and learn a Naive Bayes network, learning works fine. But when I try to learn with the hidden variables I get the following message
em: not all nodes are updated (deterministic cpts?)

and either nothing happens or all/most of my cpts are zeroed.

Any Idea what the problem may be?
Thanks!
ninio

some more information

Post by ninio »

i'm using 2.0.3259.0, and the program tends to crash after several iterations of training.
mark

Post by mark »

It should never crash. Could you share your network and data set so that I can reproduce the crash? The error message you were getting could be due to insufficient records, how many were you using?
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: some more information

Post by shooltz[BayesFusion] »

ninio wrote:i'm using 2.0.3259.0, and the program tends to crash after several iterations of training.
Did you try the most recent build (2.0.3393.0)?
ninio

some more observations

Post by ninio »

I updated to the latest version, and still get this.
In addition, I found that Genie has a problem when the network loaded from an xdsl file has a cpt with a total conditional distribution that's more then one. For example, on a binary variable, if I set the probs to 1 and 1e-5, and then train-parameters and try to open the node properties, the program dies.

worse, if you set the probs to 1 and 1e-9, genie will not complain but the EM parameter learning will fail with the same error message.

My current suspicion is that during the EM process, a rounding error leads to a sum that is not exactly one, and this leads to the problem.

attached is a small network that displays the problem. The column for s2 in "problem" has 1e-009 and 1, so learning this network fails. If you open the definition tab for the node, mark the s2 column and press normalize ("\Sigma=1") and OK, you can train the netwrork without a problem.
Attachments
Network3test.xdsl
the network
(2.33 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
Network2.txt
the data file
(8.13 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
mark

Post by mark »

Are you randomizing the initial parameters?
ninio

not randomizing the parameters

Post by ninio »

I have a good idea what I want, and randomizing will give my hidden variables some random meaning, which will probably not match what I want.

And while at the subject - in what units is the "Confidence" setting? I used 1 to get the results above.

I will mention that on my large network (a dozen hidden vars and about twice that observed ones) I get the same error message even if I do randomize (but the time it takes to reach this state depends on the randomization). I will also mention that after a couple of dozen training sessions Genei tends to become unstable, and I see problems in image rendering and a significant tendency to crash, mostly if I try to close the program.
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: not randomizing the parameters

ninio wrote:I will also mention that after a couple of dozen training sessions Genei tends to become unstable, and I see problems in image rendering and a significant tendency to crash, mostly if I try to close the program.
Does this happen with small model you've attached in one of previous posts, or the large network is required to crash the program?
mark

Post by mark »

I found the cause and solution of the 'em: not all nodes are updated (deterministic cpts?)' error message. This should be fixed in the next GeNIe/SMILE release.
ninio

glad to hear

Post by ninio »

is there a time frame for the next release? Is it possible to get a preview?

I'm currently stuck with my project, being unable to train my network.

As for the crashes - the software will crash when the input network has a node with distribution with a sum grater then one, and this network is sent to the learn-parameters function. It will fail, but once the node is opened for edit, the program will crash.
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: glad to hear

ninio wrote:is there a time frame for the next release? Is it possible to get a preview?
We'll be testing modified EM for couple of days. If it works OK we'll release GeNIe or at least notify you and provide link to preview version.
As for the crashes - the software will crash when the input network has a node with distribution with a sum grater then one, and this network is sent to the learn-parameters function. It will fail, but once the node is opened for edit, the program will crash.
I can't reproduce that. Using most recent public GeNIe build (the one which does not yet have our recent EM fix) I ran EM on your model . EM returned an error message as expected and I can inspect all four CPTs in GeNIe without problems. This does not change when I run EM multiple times. Next I modified the network to have sum > 1 in node 'observed'. Still, EM returns error, but I can open the CPTs without crash.
ninio

I can't reproduce it now

Post by ninio »

I had a set where this happened consistently, but I saved over the file. I will try to see if I can find a copy.

Thanks for all your help!
ninio

Re: I can't reproduce it now

Post by ninio »

ninio wrote:I had a set where this happened consistently, but I saved over the file. I will try to see if I can find a copy.

Thanks for all your help!
coming to think about it, the crashing may have happend on a slightly out of date version ( 2.0.3259.0 ) I have been using until recently. It may still be worth checking, as I did see problems when working with larger networks even with the new code, but this I can not duplicate so easily.

Any news on the updated code?
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

ninio wrote:Any news on the updated code?
Send me the private message.
ninio

Post by ninio »

shooltz wrote:
ninio wrote:Any news on the updated code?
Send me the private message.

thanks, looks like it works fine. Its great to see such support!