Can't Add Text to Text Box

The front end.
SteveM

Can't Add Text to Text Box

Post by SteveM »

When I add a Text Box to the canvas, a small rectangle appears but not the words "Type your text here". I also cannot add new text via the keyboard or paste text from the clipboard. Moreover, the block disappears when I mouse away from it, making me try to find it.

I had this problem a couple of years ago, but put Genii aside. Well, I'm back, using the latest build and still can't create the text box.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. Any thoughts of adding an HTML Export function?
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: Can't Add Text to Text Box

Post by shooltz[BayesFusion] »

SteveM wrote:Any ideas?
The only thing I can think of is that for some reason you have the text color equal to background color. Can you change it from the format toolbar, then create new textbox? You can also try different fonts/font sizes.
P.S. Any thoughts of adding an HTML Export function?
You're the first person asking about such feature. What exactly would you like in exported HTML?
SteveM

Still Can't Figure it Out

Post by SteveM »

Thanks for the reply. But I still can't figure it out. I scanned through the Example models and well as the Clemons models I downloaded earlier hoping to find a text box already inserted. But no luck.

I think I remember solving the problem before, maybe with assistance from you guys. But if I did, I do not remember what the advice was.

Like I said, a rectangle is placed on the canvas with size adjustment boxes on either side. When I increased the default font size, a new text box was larger, but its problem was still there.

Can you do me a favor and send me a small sample model that includes a text box? I'll open it and see what it does.

Re: HTML. I'm playing with a Topic Map software tool call TheBrain and with the Pro version I can export a map (HTML/XML) and then actually navigate around it using only a browser. The top of their homepage is an embedded TM if you want to check it out.

I was just thinking... You know migrating Genie to a Topic Map architecture would be pretty wild. The ontologies match up I think. And you could get rid of submodels because the TM would manage appearance. There's some pretty good open source TM code out there.

Any Takers?

Thanks Again,

Steve
sbmack7@comcast.net
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: Still Can't Figure it Out

SteveM wrote:Thanks for the reply. But I still can't figure it out. I scanned through the Example models and well as the Clemons models I downloaded earlier hoping to find a text box already inserted. But no luck.
All models in 'Examples' subdirectory contain textboxes, usually formatted as blue Arial Bold 10pt. I'm also attaching simple model with two textboxes to this message. The textboxes are placed just below nodes.

Is there anything unusual in your configuration? Are you using very large/very small fonts or high-contrast color theme? What's the OS?
I was just thinking... You know migrating Genie to a Topic Map architecture would be pretty wild. The ontologies match up I think. And you could get rid of submodels because the TM would manage appearance. There's some pretty good open source TM code out there.
It should be possible to create a topic map out of GeNIe model. However, the usual interaction with BN includes inference, which is not easily translated into HTML/Javascript.
Attachments
textboxes.xdsl
(1.43 KiB) Downloaded 1167 times
SteveM

Cryptic

Post by SteveM »

Matt,

Thanks for the sample model. Here's what happened

Open the model.

Text 1 is not visible although its dotted line rectangle is there
Text 2 is visible

When I double click on Text 2, the dotted lines become solid and I am placed in edit mode. I can successfully edit.

I right click Text 1, Selecting Edit does nothing.
Selecting Properties and changing the font color and size and applying that to all text blocks converts Text 2 to the inaccessible mode. Its message disappears. Both block frames increased in size with the change in font size

I right click Text 2 and repeat the format change and apply to all text boxes repairs Text 1 and your message, "First Textbox Goes Here" appears.

Hmmm....?

Steve
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: Cryptic

Can you post the screenshot containing GeNIe window after applying the format from textbox 1 to textbox 2 (when both are in 'inaccessible mode')?
SteveM

Screen Capture Attached

Post by SteveM »

Here you go Matt.

Steve
Attachments
Genie Capture.jpg
Genie Capture.jpg (41.72 KiB) Viewed 18589 times
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: Screen Capture Attached

SteveM wrote:Here you go Matt.
I'm not Matt :)

Anyway, are you using any 3rd party skinning product for Windows, or the screenshot was made in Linux with Wine providing the emulation layer for GeNIe?
SteveM

Skins

Post by SteveM »

Yeah, I like Black.

I changed the skin to default Windows XP and shut down and restarted Genie.

Had no effect.

Steve

P.S. What's your name?
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: Skins

SteveM wrote:I changed the skin to default Windows XP and shut down and restarted Genie.
I'm running out of ideas. The routine which draws contents of textboxes is the one used for node captions.

Can you see the contents of the textbox in the 'Preview' pane in textbox proprty sheet?

Are you sure the your skinning program is completely off with default XP skin?
P.S. What's your name?
On this forum I'm just using the login/nickname.
SteveM

Re-Install Fixed It

Post by SteveM »

Thanks for your assistance schooltzie.

Steve