Featurerequest: Online-Connection between GeNIe and SMILE

The engine.
TeeJay

Featurerequest: Online-Connection between GeNIe and SMILE

Post by TeeJay »

Hello everyone,

wouldn´t it be great if GeNIe and SMILE could establish an online-connection to visualize updated beliefs or existing evidences in GeNIe for a network that was updated within SMILE?
Are there any possibilities or plans to realize this?

Greetings from Germany
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: Featurerequest: Online-Connection between GeNIe and SMIL

Post by shooltz[BayesFusion] »

TeeJay wrote:Are there any possibilities or plans to realize this?
There are no plans for such feature. The word 'online' you have used in your post suggests some kind of web application - am I reading this correctly?
TeeJay

Post by TeeJay »

No, that was not what I had in mind.

To give an example: I have set up a bayesnet in GeNIe, saved it in a *.xdsl-file and now I am loading this file with SMILE for further processing (say setting evidences on nodes, updating the beliefs etc.). What I had in mind with an "online"-connection is the update of the values I manipulated in SMILE live in GeNIe as the same *.xdsl-file is opened. So setting an evidence in SMILE would automaticly set the evidence in GeNIE at the same time.

So maybe a solution would be to store evidences in the *.xdsl-file/xml-tree, too, save the *.xdsl every time SMILE is updating a value and let there be an option in GeNIe to reload the network everytime an update on the file has been made (showing the new evidences and updating the beliefs).
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

TeeJay wrote:So maybe a solution would be to store evidences in the *.xdsl-file/xml-tree, too, save the *.xdsl every time SMILE is updating a value and let there be an option in GeNIe to reload the network everytime an update on the file has been made (showing the new evidences and updating the beliefs).
The closest thing you can achieve now is to use a batch file which would relaunch GeNIe each time you modified the network from your own program (or you can use exec()/CreateProcess/ShellExecute).

However, one of the problems is that the evidence you set is not written to the file, unless you use the Case Manager functions (DSL_network::AddCase/GetCase).

I think it would be possible to add some command line switch to GeNIe which would instantiate a specified case and update the beliefs directly after loading the file.
TeeJay

Post by TeeJay »

Aha! I didn´t know about the Case Manager yet. This sounds good!

Thank you for your fast response!
vinodkhare

Post by vinodkhare »

A way to script Genie will be very welcome.
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

vinodkhare wrote:A way to script Genie will be very welcome.
We realize that, but don't have resources to implement such feature. What kind of actions would you like to automate?