Suggestion on "network structure too complex"

The front end.
emavro

Suggestion on "network structure too complex"

Post by emavro »

Hello,
I am working on a model for risk calculation.
It ends at 60 nodes of partial risk (R01 up to R60) in groups of 10's for each of the 6 syb-systems. Each node R1-60 has 10 states.
I have managed to calculate each sub-system's risk RS1,RS2,RS3, RS4, RS5 and RS6 by parent divorcing but when I try further aggregation the output is always "Error (-42): UpdateBeliefs failed - network structure is too complex."
Could you propose an alternative solution for total risk calculation?

Thank you.
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion on "network structure too complex"

Post by shooltz[BayesFusion] »

Are you going to use the calculated posteriors for all nodes in your model, or only a subset? For the latter case, try marking the nodes you're interested in as targets. This reduces the complexity of calculations GeNIe has to perform.
emavro

Post by emavro »

Thanks for the reply,
Only on a subset. I have already marked as "target" the nodes that I am interested for. But the message keeps the same about too complex network.
Do you have any other ideas?
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Do you have any other ideas?
Not really. We'll have significant performance improvements for network containing noisy nodes in the upcoming GeNIe release. If your network contains such nodes, it may be worth trying.
emavro

Post by emavro »

Thanks,
I will definitely give it a try. But, unfortunately, for the current version of my model (due to deadline restrictions), I might use the 6 subsystem partial risk nodes RS1 to RS6, copy-pasted to a new model just for the final aggregation procedure for the calculation of the Total Risk (Rtot) node.

By the way, is there any documentation on the maximum size of the tables that the program can handle? Because I couldn't find it on Genie 's manual. If my little statistics knowledge is correct, for my model's final node, node Rtot, I should need a table with 10^61 cells.
Thank you for your time!
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

By the way, is there any documentation on the maximum size of the tables that the program can handle?
The program does not have any built-in limitations on the CPT size. Your RAM is the deciding factor.

Note however, that in addition to the memory used by the CPTs, you'll need extra memory to calculate the posteriors. The amount required depends on the structure of the network, currently selected evidence and the target set.
I should need a table with 10^61 cells.
That's rather above the capabilties of the hardware which you can buy off-the-shelf :)
emavro

Post by emavro »

Thanks for your informative answer!