visualization and business vs academic version

The front end.
liid

visualization and business vs academic version

Post by liid »

Hi,

I was not sure whether this question should go to the forum or to your email directly. If you would like me to move it to the forum, please say so.

I have been using the academic version for a while. My problem is when I try to visualize my networks in order to include pictures of them in my paper.

I am not sure whether this is something that I am doing wrong, or it is a limitation of the software, but I can not produce professionally looking visualizations. Also, there is this "academic version" writing in the background of the network.

My questions are:
1. How would you recommend to create professionally looking visualizations of the networks in GeNIe?
2. Does the "business version" allows more sophisticated visualization capabilities and options than the academic one?
3. Is the only way to remove the "academic version" writing behind the networks is to buy the business version?

Thanks!
marek [BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: visualization and business vs academic version

Post by marek [BayesFusion] »

Hi Lihi,

We certainly prefer that you ask questions on the Forum -- this benefits all GeNIe users.

Let me try to answer your questions:

(1) I'm not sure what you mean by "professional looking visualizations." If you let us know about your needs, we will consider implementing them. Is the resolution that you see on your screen not fine enough?

I have published a good number of papers with pictures coming straight from GeNIe and have also used pictures originating from GeNIe in PowerPoint presentations. The resolution that I can see on the screen has been satisfactory for me and neither the reviewers, nor audiences complained about it. Of course, if you want to have scalable graphics, i.e., graphics that will look perfectly smooth when you blow them up to 10x their original size, GeNIe does not support it currently. I have never encountered the need to do so, so I am wondering what your needs are and what would be the best way of supporting you.

(2) No, the business version is at the moment identical in its graphical capability.

(3) I suspect that your problems and questions (1) and (2) originate from your attempts to create pictures by means of screen shots, which obviously will contain the water mark "Academic Use Only." I would advise against doing this, unless you want to want to have pictures of those elements of the program that cannot be copied (e.g., menus, pieces of the tree view, grid, the water marks, etc.).

The simplest way of creating pictures of Bayesian networks is described in GeNIe Manual, Chapter "Building blocks of GeNIe," Section "GeNIe workspace," Subsection "Graph view," paragraph titled "Copying, cutting, and pasting model elements." Essentially, copying any model elements will place them on the clipboard. If you want to paste a picture in a program like Word (or Paint), use Paste Special and then bitmap. None of the background elements like the grid or the "Academic Use Only" water mark will copy and paste with it. Does this solve your problem?

Cheers,

Marek
liid

Post by liid »

I was not aware of those options. Thank you!
marek [BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Post by marek [BayesFusion] »

Happens among the very best :-). I would like to encourage you to download GeNIe 2.3, which we have just released. You will see that we have added one more Paste option, that of a Picture. The nice thing about a Picture is that it can be resized later with minimal loss of quality. You will love it! More information in the GeNIe manual section that I pointed out to you earlier.
Cheers,

Marek