GIS Integration with Genie/Smile

The front end.
daniva

GIS Integration with Genie/Smile

Post by daniva »

I am working on the development of a risk management framework. This study requires spatial explicit results. I was wondering if there is a way how to integrate GIS and BBN constructed with GeNIe?
marek [BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: GIS Integration with Genie/Smile

Post by marek [BayesFusion] »

GeNIe does not have any special facilities for GIS connectivity. However, GeNIe is just a simple GUI to SMILE, our inference engine, which is a general purpose library for decision-theoretic methods and can be linked to anything you want. SMILE API is accessible from C++, Java, .NET and Python. I know that several our users applied SMILE in GIS-related projects in the past. BayesFusion is a partner in the EMDS Consortium (http://emds.mountain-viewgroup.com/, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecosystem ... on_Support), for which GIS functionality is very important.
I hope this helps.

Marek
daniva

Post by daniva »

Hi Marek,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am quite new to the Smile API, but i trying to use spatially explicit data (ex. rasters) as well as non-spatial information (ex. expert opinion) within the a single BBN. Is that possible with SMILE API?

Also I am working with R. I have found that there is an interface from R to smile: rSmile, based on jSmile. However, I could not find any documentation about this.

I will have a better look into the EMDS Consortium tomorrow again. It seems to have an scripting support extensible to R, which would be great.
Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Best Regards,
Dana
marek [BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Post by marek [BayesFusion] »

Hi Dana,

SMILE API allows you to create and manage multiple networks at the same time as well as combine various sources of information in a single network, so I cannot see any problems with what you want to do.

We do not support R directly as of yet but you can use SMILE in R through our Java wrapper, which is jSMILE. The wrappers documentation (we are still working on it -- please expect the complete documentation within a week or so). rSMILE was a great academic effort and it is there somewhere but we have no control over it and we cannot support it. I assume you can get it to work once you find it. You can also work with SMILE from R through jSMILE.
Good luck and please do not hesitate to contact us again in case we can be of any help.
Cheers,

Marek