Influence Diagram: Value Node

The front end.
Pavlacky

Influence Diagram: Value Node

Post by Pavlacky »

Hello Forum,

I am new to Bayesian Networks and have two questions about value nodes in an influence diagram.

1) Is there a limit to the dimension of the value node? In my influence diagram,the value node has 13 parent chance nodes each with three states (one with five states). When the value node has 12 parent nodes, I can add values in the definition view by pasting from an excel file. However, when the value node has 13 parent nodes the program is unresponsive and I am unable to view the definition properties.

2) Is there a way to import the utilities into the value node using a import file? How are the utilities in value node stored in the application?

Kind Regards,

David
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: Influence Diagram: Value Node

Post by shooltz[BayesFusion] »

1) Is there a limit to the dimension of the value node? In my influence diagram,the value node has 13 parent chance nodes each with three states (one with five states). When the value node has 12 parent nodes, I can add values in the definition view by pasting from an excel file. However, when the value node has 13 parent nodes the program is unresponsive and I am unable to view the definition properties.
There's no hardcoded limit. UI-wise, you're getting from 5*3^11=885,735 to 5*3^12=2,657,205 numeric grid cells when adding the 13th parent (there's also 1.5 times that many header cells). The grid component is probably rendering for a very long time when you try to open node properties.
Is there a way to import the utilities into the value node using a import file? How are the utilities in value node stored in the application?
The utilities are stored contiguous‎ in the numeric array controlled by SMILE. You can get the access to these parameters using the API by writing your own C++, Java or .Net based program. Alternatively, you may try to manipulate the XDSL file treating it as a plain XML.