CiToCPT()

The engine.
orzech

CiToCPT()

Post by orzech »

Hi again,

I'd love to delve into static_cast<DSL_ciDefinition *>(nodeDef)->CiToCpt() because this method throws an interop expection/freezes when I use SMILE in my .NET project. This happens only when a Noisy-MAX node has a big number of parents (say >= 25). I know that SMILE is not open source but is it possible to investigate this problem? At first I thought it can be a problem with my own code but everything works perfectly until I reach a certain parents limit. :? it would be great if I could see the source code of this method. Maybe I could provide some help.

Thanks in advance!
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: CiToCPT()

Post by shooltz[BayesFusion] »

This happens only when a Noisy-MAX node has a big number of parents (say >= 25).
CPT for 25 parents will need at least (2^25)*2*8 = 2^29 contiguous bytes (assuming binary nodes). It's quite likely that your application doesn't have 512 megabytes address space available in one chunk, even if physical memory is there.
orzech

Post by orzech »

shooltz wrote:It's quite likely that your application doesn't have 512 megabytes address space available in one chunk, even if physical memory is there.
That sounds like a serious problem. :/ I don't fell like complaining but it would be great if SMILE optimized internal CPT storage of Noisy-ORs. I guess that the problem isn't related to .NET wrapper since the wrapper itself uses unmanaged code anyway.

Is there anything I can to about it? If that's the cause it's simply impossible to deal with such memory-absorbing nodes using SMILE/GeNIe. The only solution is on-fly parent divorcing but what I want to get is just an 'untrackable network' for further optimizations. :)

Thanks
orzech

Post by orzech »

Ok, fortunately the problem IS related to the wrapper itself (actually both .NET and Java). I can fix this if you like but for more details please consult Adam. :)