Share/Tie parameters in jsmile EM parameter learning

The engine.
Yun

Share/Tie parameters in jsmile EM parameter learning

Post by Yun »

Dear SMILE creators,

Thank you so much for your time! Could I ask whether there is a way to share/tie parameters across different nodes (i.e., reference/point to the same parameter, so that different nodes can have the same parameter value)? I would like to have this option for both static BN and a simple dynamic BN (e.g., HMM). What I mean is that I have a binary node X with one binary parent, thus it has two parameters "a", "b"; I have another node Y (without parents) which needs to use "a" and "1-a" as its parameters and another node Z(without parents) which needs to use "b" and "1-b" as its parameters. Is there any way to do so? I found that in BNT (Kevin Murphy) there is a section called "Parameter tying" and it seems to be relevant to my need. But I want to try jsmile first since it requires 1/10~1/60 training time and I have everything set up in jsmile already.

Thanks a ton!!!!

Yun
Intelligent Systems Program
University of Pittsburgh
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: Share/Tie parameters in jsmile EM parameter learning

Post by shooltz[BayesFusion] »

EM in SMILE does not have the ability to enforce parameter bounds/parameter ties.
Yun

Post by Yun »

Thank you for letting me know. Look forward to such an option in the future :)

Thanks,
Yun
Yun

Post by Yun »

Dear SMILE creators,

Sorry for asking this again. I am in need of using this functionality (sharing/tying parameters in EM). I found that BNT (Kevin Murphy) might be able to do so, but I haven't tried and am not sure (link: https://www.cs.utah.edu/~tch/notes/matl ... html#tying). I wonder whether you have any suggestions, e.g., any other tools that you are sure that have this functionality in EM parameter training? And I'd appreciate if in the future jsmile can have this option :)

Thank you so much,
Yun