Inference with Equation Nodes

The engine.
aambrus

Inference with Equation Nodes

Post by aambrus »

What is the best way to handle inference in networks containing equation nodes where evidence has been assigned to one of the child nodes?

I have attached a simple example to illustrate this. In the example network, whenever I set evidence to Node 2 or 4 and try to update the beliefs, GeNIe will run into an infinite loop or crash. If I only assign evidence to the root nodes, it performs the update without problems.I have tried different algorithms provided by GeNIe, but couldn't get it to work. I have also looked into discretizing the nodes, but this does not look as a viable option for the size of the network I am using in my research.

Thanks,
Adrian
Attachments
ContinuousNetwork.xdsl
(1.6 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: Inference with Equation Nodes

Post by shooltz[BayesFusion] »

aambrus wrote:What is the best way to handle inference in networks containing equation nodes where evidence has been assigned to one of the child nodes?
SMILE support for evidence in continuous networks is based on a research-quality code and is not very robust if you set evidence to nodes with parents. You may consider using network discretization to succesfully perform inference (in GeNIe, enable Network|Algorithm|Autodiscretize and specify discretization intervals in node properties).
aambrus

Re: Inference with Equation Nodes

Post by aambrus »

Thanks for the reply. Does jSMILE contain methods for enabling auto-discretization and setting the discretization intervals on a continuous node?

Adrian