Excel & GeNIe

The front end.
jute

Excel & GeNIe

Post by jute »

So I have been looking through the forum and the online documentation and I have not found anything yet, but it is possible I missed it. My apologies if that is the case.

What I am trying to do is this: with a complex network already made in GeNIe, I want others to be able to use it without having to learn or tamper with the network at all. That is, I want their only participation to be inputting values into a few fields and then be able to see the appropriate results. Is there any way to tie GeNIe to Excel in such a way that other users can work within the confines of a worksheet, tinker with a few cells, and see results in the form of a row of values in that same worksheet? I know that you can import CSV files from Excel into GeNIe, but I want to know how far I can push the integration.

If the above is not possible, am I correct in assuming that I would be able to achieve something similar to that with SMILE? If not by direct integration, I would think I could program a C++ or java app to interface with SMILE on one hand and Excel on the other.

Thank you for your help, hopefully this was not a stupid question.
shooltz[BayesFusion]
Site Admin

Re: Excel & GeNIe

Post by shooltz[BayesFusion] »

If the above is not possible, am I correct in assuming that I would be able to achieve something similar to that with SMILE? If not by direct integration, I would think I could program a C++ or java app to interface with SMILE on one hand and Excel on the other.
That's correct, you'll need to use VBA in Excel to interface with some sort of SMILE-based component. The good news is that we have a COM/ActiveX wrapper for SMILE, which would be easily programmable from VBA. It's quite old and had little use, but recently we had customers asking about using SMILE in Excel. We're working now to ensure this code works with recent Excel versions.

I'll ping you when we're ready to share this code.